Thursday, January 28, 2021

Lake Superior "Ice Agates"

My third trip to the Bayfield (Wisconsin) area in January was maybe the most surprising one. We stopped at the Friendly Valley beach again to look at the blue ice that I had visited a week earlier. Lake Superior started to freeze up more and the fresh snow had covered much of the beautiful blue ice. (see my previous blog : https://soulcenteredphotography.blogspot.com/2021/01/blue-ice-near-bayfield-wisconsin.html ) 

The first photos are from the Friendly Valley beach.


Then we continued on to the beach (near Little Sand Bay) we had visited in early January, hoping to find more ice. (see previous blog: https://soulcenteredphotography.blogspot.com/2021/01/lake-superior-ice.html)

But the landscape had completely changed with big hills of snow/ice that the lake had pushed ashore. At first I didn't think there was anything to photograph but as I started to walk along the shoreline I noticed small pieces of clear ice poking through the snow. We spent the next 1 ½ hours crawling on the ground trying to capture the many differently shaped "Ice Agates" - some were reflecting blue colors, others were brown, and some were decorated with delicate tiny snowflakes. And others were shining their light from within - it was the most amazing sight to see. I so wished I had my macro lens with me but made due with what I had.

Every trip to Lake Superior is a surprise - you never know what you will find!

Enjoy the sparkling ice jewels !! 

Click on the photos for a larger view. And thanks for viewing.- Susanne



















1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those ice agates are stunning. I really get lost in them. Well seen!

    ReplyDelete