Sunday, October 5, 2014

Tango and her kittens

Tango is an orange tabby teenage kitty that showed up at my place 5-6 weeks ago. I noticed she was starving and had a huge appetite. Soon it became clear - she was pregnant! On September 26th she gave birth to 3 kittens. I feel so fortunate to witness (and assist in) the whole process and was able to take a few photos. She chose my closet as her nest which made it challenging to take any good images. 
Every 2 hrs she gave birth to one kitten. The first two came out tail and feet first, the third one popped out head first. Tango didn't even notice the last one and I had to show her. I think she was so tired by then. She cleaned every newborn thoroughly, chewed off the umbilical cord and ate the placentas.
The kittens started nursing right away and are getting bigger real fast. 
Now I get to enjoy this little family! Tango is a good mum and takes great care of her little ones. It is such a delight to listen to all the sounds the kittens make and see a very contended cat nursing.
I'll be back with more.
For now - enjoy, Susanne












3 comments:

  1. These pictures tell Tango's adventure so perfectly! Love them!

    ReplyDelete