Wednesday, February 24, 2021

The Daily visits of a Barred Owl

It has been a week now since this majestic Barred Owl showed up at my bird feeders. Usually she comes in the early morning, at the crack of dawn and sits for hours on my garden fence or post - patiently observing her environment, turning her head every which way! But her attention is mostly aimed at the ground underneath the feeder where some rodents live underneath the snow, benefitting from the spilled sunflower seeds. 
I am surprised that the chickadees and other smaller birds are not intimidated by this big owl. They keep coming to the feeder in spite of her presence.

It has come to my attention that these owls come to the feeders when they are having a hard time catching mice in their usual environment. It has been especially difficult after the recent cold spell here in northern Wisconsin and some owls were starving and needed help from wildlife/raptor centers. 

At first I was concerned that this owl was in trouble but she appeared healthy looking. Finally her patience payed off and I did see her eating a mole and also was able to get a few photos. 
The following photos were taken through my kitchen window over a period of several days. The light was different each day and my personal favorite are the photos with the falling snow. 
I am so fascinated by the black eyes that almost appear to be liquid and the many facial expressions. I can't take my eyes off that beautiful owl and enjoy her visits every day!!
I made a short video that I posted on YouTube: https://youtu.be/IRVD6obTPKY 
The most recent photos are not included in the video but are at the end of this blog post.

Thanks for viewing and I hope you enjoy this owl as much as I do - Susanne  

Click on the photos for a larger view



Look at these feet and claws!

I liked the touch of frost in her face - it was a very cold day!


The sunshine feels good



sitting on top of the bird feeder

Love the mood on this snowy day - and those eyes!!



Getting ready to fly on the ground




Success - she caught a huge mole!





She looks so content, after eating the mole








 

No comments:

Post a Comment