Thursday, December 27, 2018

Best of 2018

My BEST PHOTOS OF 2018


Another year has passed. I had intended to do a few more posts throughout the year but it didn't happen.  Following is the collection for 2018 and there are quite a few again. It was too difficult to choose and limit myself to 12 
- so here they are in chronological order. Click on the photos for a larger view.
Enjoy and a happy New Year.
Susanne


Dramatic sunset clouds over Christie Mountain, a ski resort near Bruce, Wisconsin - where I happen to work in the wintertime. I was driving home and almost didn't stop to take the photo. Sure glad I did. (January) 

Dawn at the Tombolo along the north shore of Lake Superior.  There is a sliver of the moon to the right of the little island.  It was a very cold February morning. But so worth it!

Ice shards piling up along the north shore of Lake Superior. It is a spectacular sight and sound as they move and get pushed around. I caught the very last sunlight reflecting off the ice. (February)

What an incredible morning driving to Eau Claire. I was able to pull over near Tilden, WI to capture the setting March full moon over this rural Wisconsin landscape. 

The Milky Way arching across the Chippewa River, Wisconsin in late March. I had to get up very early to get this shot.


It was a gorgeous April spring day and I had to see Lake Superior. The campgrounds weren't open yet so I was able to explore the camp sites at Split Rock Lighthouse state park (Minnesota). I finally found the spot with this view that I had seen before on photos but never knew where it was. 

Buddha boy (one of my kitties) basking in the warm evening light.  I was practicing for my Pet Photography business. (May)

You know spring has arrived in northern Wisconsin when you walk through the woodlands covered with Trilliums.  This one was very large and a beauty! (May)

A calm spring evening at the Chippewa Flowage near Hayward, WI. The perfect cloud reflections. So peaceful and serene. (May)

Water, waterfalls and trees are my favorite subjects to photograph.  This family of cedar trees stands at the edge of the Upper Falls at Gooseberry Falls State park (Minnesota). The rain made the tree trunks and roots look dark and shiny. (June)

On my birthday (July) I was greeted with a beautiful sunrise on top of the Blue Hills (near Exeland, WI)

I have been wanting to capture the Milky Way with Mars (on left) all summer and finally in August I was able to. It was a foggy evening/night at the Chippewa River (Wisconsin) and added this dreamy mood to the scene. I will never forget this summer night with it's sounds and then this view! 

After a short night I went back to the same location at the Chippewa River (WI) . The fog didn't burn off for a few hours and of all the photos I took that morning this arching Maple Tree is my favorite. (August)
Sunset reds at Split Rock Lighthouse State park (Minnesota). It wasn't a very spectacular sunset until the very end when all of a sudden the sky turned red for a few fleeting moments. Trying to find an interesting composition quickly I saw the tree tops reflecting in this water puddle. (September)

Autumn - my favorite time of the year! We had gorgeous colors but almost no sunshine.  Heavy rains took down the leaves far too soon. This view is from the popular Oberg Mountain hike near Lutsen, MN.  I have taken many photos of Oberg Lake like other photographers but this wetland close to the lake had more to offer on that day. 

The most magical fall hike I have ever done happened on this foggy October morning at Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center near Finland, MN. I had intended to write a separate blog on this but here are 2 photos of the trail.

Steps leading down into a valley under a canopy of maple trees.  At Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center near Finland, MN.

An abandoned farmstead in the Blue Hills, northern Wisconsin - surrounded by beautiful and colorful Maple trees (October)

I had to add one more late fall photo with sunshine!! Hiking on the trail above the Apostle Islands Sea Caves along the south shore of Lake Superior (Wisconsin)

Hoarfrost with a touch of sunlight at the top of the hill, Blue Hills, northern Wisconsin. We had several days with beautiful frost turning everything into a winter wonderland. (December)

Sun Dogs - never seen them quite like this. After the fog lifted this scene appeared. In the Blue Hills, northern Wisconsin. A fitting image to end the year! (December)


8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to this post every year. My journey along with you and your camera is an enjoyable one. And, you have an incredible eye and ability to capture what many of us might miss. Thank you for sharing this collection

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! These make my eyes so happy. Thank you, Susanne, for sharing these with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These shots are so incredible...as is your dedication to capturing them for all to see!!! Thank you Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love nature and you capture it more beautifully. Thank you Susanne.
    Asmi recent posted
    Types of Graphic Design

    ReplyDelete