Monday, February 10, 2020

Full "Snow Moon" Photo Shoot


Full "Snow Moon" Photo Shoot


A full moon is always a highly anticipated event for a landscape photographer. There are 13 full moons in 2020 . Typically I have 2-3 opportunities per year to get out and capture either a moon rise or moon set. Either the weather isn't cooperating or I am at work.
This February 9 "Snow Moon" was a beauty and for a change we had clear skies!! 
I had been to an Art Crawl in Eau Claire (Wisconsin) and as I was leaving on Saturday evening (Febr. 8) I saw the most gorgeous moon rising but I had no camera with me. 
On Sunday I was at work plus we had a snowstorm but the sun came out and clear sky in the evening.
My plan was to go out Monday morning to capture the setting moon. My alarm  went off at 5:15am - I did not want to get up. My mind said: I am tired, it's too cold (-15F), I want to sleep in... My feline companions never let me sleep in and make it very clear when it's time to feed them!! 
After a cup of coffee I was ready to leave around 6:30am. Then comes the most agonizing part - where to go?? I live in a wooded area and only know of a few places with a decent view within a 20 miles radius. I would like to go to at least 5 spots - all at the same time!! I only have a window of about 45 minutes. The weather report mentioned something about freezing fog therefore I decided to head down to the Chippewa river to check if there was frost. The roads were slippery, some haven't been plowed and I have to pace myself. Watching for deer - I know most of their "highways" in my area, so I slow down and look. 
Before I reached the river I stopped close to a farm - but where to park the car? On the same day last year I pulled over on the side of the road not realizing that it was all icy underneath the snow. I could not get out on my own and after 2 hrs trying with helpful neighbors I had to call the tow truck. With that in mind I carefully pulled over.

I love the soft pinks and blues before sunrise. The moon was still pretty high in the sky.
My hands were getting cold while taking the first photos. I remembered I brought hand warmers but the package wouldn't open. I found scissors in the car, but cut into one of the little packs and the black powder ran out. Oh, so much fun!?!
I found nothing too spectacular at the river. So I turned around thinking about another location to capture the sunrise and setting moon. But I ran out of time. As I was driving I reminded myself to breathe and just to relax. I live in such a beautiful area! 
I never made it to where I wanted to go but it didn't matter. I soaked up the warmth of the sun,  looked around seeing all the sparkles in the snow and on the trees. Life is beautiful!

The first photo was taken around 6:50am and the last photo around 7:40am. The mood and light changes dramatically within such a short time.

I hope you enjoyed the little glimpse into my photography adventure.
Click on the photos for a larger view.


Susanne 

A promising sunrise - view towards the east

Last year on February 10 - the tow truck had to pull me out as I parked on the side of the road and was sliding into the ditch

My favorite colors - soft pink and blue sky in the west. Photo was taken about 25 minutes before the sunrise

The setting full moon still high in the sky. View towards the Blue Hills (west)

When I saw this scene with the deer tracks and snow covered spruce trees lit up by the sun - I had to stop.
Photo taken about 20 minutes past sunrise

My focus was so much on the moon that I almost forgot to turn around to see this scene filled with warmth and golden light.

Goldenrod sparkling in the sunlight

No comments:

Post a Comment