Friday, February 28, 2020

"Frost Smoke" at the Chippewa River

This winter I managed to go to the Chippewa River (northern Wisconsin) three times in below 0 F temperature. What can I say - I love rivers especially in early mornings when steam or fog is rising from the water surface. My fingers turn numb, my feet get cold, my glasses fog up and make it difficult to operate my camera. But I would not want to miss this view!!  The mood is changing quickly as the sun is rising. Some of the frost covered trees turn golden, the others in the shade remain cold and frosty looking. This creates an interesting contrast in colors and texture. And the fog or smoke keeps constantly moving. On this particular morning (February 28, 2020) the fog got thicker as the sun rose higher. 
Unless you live at the river or happen to cross the bridge early in the morning - you would never know of this beauty. It doesn't last very long. I am grateful to be able to capture these moments and hope the viewer enjoys them as much as I do.
Susanne

Click on the photos for a larger view. 










No comments:

Post a Comment